Today, I’m going to review the Shelly BLU Button1, a Bluetooth-operated action and scenes activation button that works with Shelly Plus and Pro devices.
If you’re looking for a smart and simple way to control your home automation devices, you might want to check out this product.
In this review, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about the Shelly BLU Button1, including its features, specifications, design, price, pros and cons, warranty, alternatives, and how to use it. I’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about this product.
By the end of this review, you’ll be able to decide if the Shelly BLU Button1 is the right product for you.
So, let’s get started!
What is the Shelly BLU Button1?
The Shelly BLU Button1 is a Bluetooth button that allows you to easily activate and deactivate devices or scenes with just a click. A scene is a combination of actions that you can set up using the Shelly Smart Control app. For example, you can create a scene that turns off the lights, adjusts the blinds, and locks the front door when you leave your home.
You can also create scenes for different moods, occasions, or times of the day. With the Shelly BLU Button1, you can trigger up to four different scenes or actions with a single press, a double press, a triple press, or a long press of the button. The button also has a LED indication and a buzzer that give you feedback on the status of your commands.
How much is the Shelly BLU Button1?
The Shelly BLU Button1 is available on Amazon for $16.39. You can also buy it directly from the Shelly website or from other authorized retailers. The price may vary depending on the color and availability of the product.
Here are some of the technical specifications of the Shelly BLU Button1:
- Size: 36x36x6 mm ±0.5 mm / 1.44х1.44х0.25 in ±0.02 in
- Weight: 9 g ±1 g / 0.30 ±0.05 oz
- Shell material: Plastic
- Color: White, black, red, blue
- Ambient temperature: -20 °C to 40 °C / -5 °F to 105 °F
- Humidity: 30 % to 70 % RH
- Power supply: 1x 3 V CR2032 battery (included)
- Battery life: up to 2 years
- RF band: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Max. RF power: <4 dBm
- Bluetooth protocol: 4.2
- Bluetooth range: Up to 10 m / 33 ft indoors and 30 m / 100 ft outdoors (Depends on local conditions)
- Encryption: AES encryption (CCM mode)
- Beacon mode: Yes
- Multi-click support: Up to 4 possible actions
Features of Shelly BLU Button1
The Shelly BLU Button1 has some amazing features that make it a smart and convenient device for home automation. Here are some of them:
Long battery life
The button uses a CR2032 battery that can last up to 2 years with normal use. You don’t have to worry about replacing the battery frequently or running out of power when you need it.
The button has a red LED light that flashes when you press it. The number of flashes corresponds to the number of presses or the type of action you trigger. For example, one flash means a single press, two flashes mean a double press, and so on. The LED light also indicates when the button is in pairing mode or factory reset mode.
The button also has a buzzer that emits a sound when you press it. The number of beeps matches the number of flashes of the LED light. The buzzer also helps you locate the button if you lose it or forget where you placed it.
The button can act as a beacon that sends signals to nearby Bluetooth devices. This way, you can use the button as a trigger for other actions based on your location or proximity. For example, you can set up a scene that turns on the lights and plays music when you enter your home with the button in your pocket.
The button supports AES encryption (CCM mode) that ensures that all communications are secure and protected from unauthorized access or manipulation. You can enable or disable this mode using the Shelly Smart Control app.
The Shelly BLU Button1 has a simple and elegant design that fits any style and decor. It has a square shape with rounded corners and smooth edges. It has a large push button in the center with the Shelly logo on it. It comes in four different colors: white, black, red, and blue.
You can choose the color that matches your preference or your home theme. The button is small and lightweight, so you can easily carry it with you or place it anywhere you want. You can also attach it to a wall, a table, a door, or any other surface using the adhesive tape that comes with the product.
Who should buy Shelly BLU Button1?
The Shelly BLU Button1 is a great product for anyone who wants to simplify and enhance their home automation experience. It is especially suitable for people who:
- Have Shelly Plus or Pro devices that support Bluetooth connectivity
- Control their devices or scenes with a single click
- Want to have feedback on their commands with LED and sound alerts
- Long-lasting and reliable battery-powered device
- Secure and encrypted communication with their devices
- Stylish and versatile device that can be placed anywhere
How to use Shelly BLU Button1
Using the Shelly BLU Button1 is very easy and intuitive. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Install the Shelly Smart Control app on your smartphone or tablet. You can download it from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Insert the battery into the button. The LED light will flash once and the buzzer will beep once.
- Open the app and tap on the “+” icon to add a new device. Select “Shelly BLU Button1” from the list of devices.
- Press and hold the button for 10 seconds until the LED light flashes rapidly and the buzzer beeps continuously. This means that the button is in pairing mode.
- Follow the instructions on the app to complete the pairing process. You will need to enter a name for your button and choose a room where you want to place it.
- Tap on the button icon on the app to access its settings. Here you can enable or disable encryption mode, beacon mode, LED indication, and buzzer. You can also check the battery level and firmware version of your button.
- Tap on the “Actions” tab on the app to assign actions or scenes to your button. You can choose from four types of triggers: single press, double press, triple press, or long press. For each trigger, you can select one or more devices or scenes that you want to activate or deactivate with your button.
- Press the button according to your desired trigger and enjoy your smart home automation.
Pros & Cons of Shelly BLU Button1
The Shelly BLU Button1 has many advantages, but also some drawbacks. Here are some of them:
- Easy to use and configure
- Long battery life
- LED indication and buzzer feedback
- Beacon mode and encrypted mode
- Multi-click support
- Stylish and versatile design
- Requires Shelly Plus or Pro devices as gateways
- Limited Bluetooth range
- No color customization for LED light
The Shelly BLU Button1 comes with a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase. The warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship that affect the normal functioning of the product. The warranty does not cover any damage caused by improper use, installation, maintenance, modification, or external factors such as water, fire, power surges, etc. To claim your warranty, you need to contact Shelly customer service and provide proof of purchase and a detailed description of the problem.
Alternatives for Shelly BLU Button1
If you’re not convinced by the Shelly BLU Button1, you might want to consider some alternatives that offer similar functionality. Here are two of them:
Flic 2 Smart Button
This is another Bluetooth button that lets you control your smart home devices with a click. It supports up to three actions per button: click, double click, and hold. It also has a LED light and a vibration motor for feedback.
It works with various apps and services such as Spotify, Philips Hue, IFTTT, etc. It has a longer Bluetooth range than the Shelly BLU Button1 (up to 50 m / 164 ft indoors) and a longer battery life (up to 3 years). However, it is more expensive ($29.99 per button) and requires a hub ($99) for some integrations.
SwitchBot Smart Switch Button Pusher
This is not exactly a button, but a device that pushes buttons for you. It can be attached to any existing switch or button in your home using adhesive tape or magnets. It can be controlled via Bluetooth using the SwitchBot app or via Wi-Fi using the SwitchBot Hub Mini ($39).
It supports voice control via Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, etc. It also supports IFTTT and other smart home platforms such as SmartThings, Home Assistant, etc. It has a long battery life (up to 600 days) and a low price ($19 per device).
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the common questions that people have about the Shelly BLU Button1 and their answers:
How do I change the battery of the Shelly BLU Button1?
To change the battery of the Shelly BLU Button1, you need to remove the back cover of the button using a coin or a screwdriver. Then, you need to take out the old battery and replace it with a new one. Make sure to insert the battery with the correct polarity. Finally, you need to put the back cover back on and press it firmly until it snaps into place.
How do I reset the Shelly BLU Button1 to factory settings?
To reset the Shelly BLU Button1 to factory settings, you need to press and hold the button for 20 seconds until the LED light flashes rapidly and the buzzer beeps continuously. This means that the button is in factory reset mode. Then, you need to release the button and wait for a few seconds until the LED light stops flashing and the buzzer stops beeping. This means that the button has been reset successfully.
How do I update the firmware of the Shelly BLU Button1?
To update the firmware of the Shelly BLU Button1, you need to open the Shelly Smart Control app and tap on the button icon. Then, you need to tap on the “Settings” tab and scroll down to find the “Firmware update” option. If there is a new firmware version available, you will see a notification on the screen. You can tap on it to start the update process. You will need to keep your phone close to the button during the update process and make sure that both devices have enough battery power.
The Shelly BLU Button1 is a smart and simple device that lets you control your home automation devices or scenes with just a click. It has a long battery life, LED indication, buzzer feedback, beacon mode, encrypted mode, multi-click support, and a stylish and versatile design.
It works with Shelly Plus and Pro devices that support Bluetooth connectivity. It is easy to use and configure using the Shelly Smart Control app. However, it has some drawbacks, such as requiring Shelly Plus or Pro devices as gateways, having a limited Bluetooth range, and having no color customization for LED light. It also has some alternatives that offer similar functionality, such as Flic 2 Smart Button and SwitchBot Smart Switch Button Pusher.
I hope this review has been helpful for you. If you have any questions or comments about this product, feel free to leave them below. Thank you for reading!